Wednesday, February 27, 2008

If you don't put writing first, you kill rodents

I have a lot of writing and editing to do for next Friday, and I was planning on finishing this week. However, I was not planning on the beast in the wall burrowing into my apartment taking up residence in my oven.

For the past few weeks, we've been hearing something or things large scurrying above our heads in the kitchen and in the bedroom while we are trying to sleep. One time, it was so loud and so close, I thought they were going to break out of the wall and into our heads. It was scary, but we thought that whatever it was was relegated to the space between the ceiling and roof.

Yesterday, I found a suspicious pile of wood chips in the corner. I was afraid to look up, but my boyfriend did. The beast had burrowed in from the ceiling. I cleaned the kitchen, and found evidence that it had been residing in the oven.

I spent the majority of last night cleaning the oven, and this morning buying poisons, ultrasonic devices, steel wool, and washing my hands. My writing will have to wait, because the potential plague will not.

No comments: